Author Topic: Teaching impulse to 10 year old and also grip looseness  (Read 1670 times)

yogic_tennis

• View Profile
Teaching impulse to 10 year old and also grip looseness
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:27:30 pm »
Hi, firstly amazing website and tons of great into. I am an old school player that learnt the modern strokes over the last 10 years, but never been any good at it. I tried the 'impulse' technique last week, and what an amazing difference!
I had 2 questions that I was hoping I might get some answers into:
1) Does anyone know a good mental image/method of teaching an 'impulse' hitting technique to a 10 year old? My son is a good tennis player and have decent strokes, but poor consistency, however my various attempts at trying to explain what this 'impulse' method was has not met with any success.
2) In terms of grip strength, I was thinking that to get a really strong 'impulse' would it make sense to tense up the arm just before impact to basically stop the racket right at impact, kind of like how a "newton's cradle' toy, the ball that is impacting completely stops on impact to transfer maximum momentum. You can of course relax the arm once the hit is done to allow the arm to continue on the trajectory, or is this simply a bad idea and we should keep the arm relaxed throughout, and use the weight transfer to 'wave' the momentum?